12.20.2013

What I Wore - Contrast Collar Coat


I thrifted this coat a while ago because I fell in love with the contrast collar. The coat wasn't even remotely my size and in desperate need of tailoring to fit me. I had never tailored a thick wool winter coat before but considering it only cost me $10 to buy, I thought it was a great chance to try. 

The below knee length coat was an extra-large and boxy mess when I bought It. I took it in the back, sides, arms, around the collar, and shortened it. It was actually a bigger/harder job than I thought it was going to be, but I really love how it turned out. The coat is double-breasted which makes it boxier and less fitted than coats I usually wear but fits nicely now that I've taken it in. In the picture I'm wearing it with the collar popped to show the contrast collar but it fits perfectly on my shoulders when I wear the collar down.